Thursday, September 27, 2012

Favorite BMW ?

Although I have driven a good number of production BMW's, I have not driven them all, so, I will go from the collection of BMW's that I have driven, and which one's stand out in pure driving pleasure. There is nothing like drifting an e30 M3 around a corner in perfect control, just feeling the light back end with the most amazing balance of any car I have personally driven, but would that be my favorite BMW?, I'm not so sure. I currently have an e30 M3 being built using a euro e36 M3 motor with a 6-speed manual conversion, that will be putting out about 400hp normally aspirated once Dan Miller at Miller Performance gets done with it. https://www.millerperformancecars.com/ This may put a new favorite BMW on my list once I drive it. I have seen some amazing conversions, and although I am not the purest of purists, at this point in time in the market, I would not modify a collector quality e30 M3 to do a swap, but if the car is a shell, I would have no problem turning it into a track/street weapon. I have owned 4-e30 M3's over the years, all with the stock s14 and I love it, but I am more interested in torque now, because I don't drive like a crazy teenager anymore, and that is the only way to enjoy an e30 M3 as a daily driver. I have so many clients come into the shop with the interest of purchasing an e30 M3, and over 90% of the time, the leave in something else. Most people don't really know what an e30 M3 is, or what they really drive like. They love the body, they love the style and they love the history and what they represent, but then the reality kicks in that you are driving a 4-cylinder race car on the street, and unless the thing is wound up, it's not going anywhere, and that's not really much fun. I think with all of the early M-CARS, with the high revving motors, they all leave a little to be desired unless you can drive them the way they were intended to be driven, like a race car. I definitely have had the most fun while driving the e30 M3's, but if I had one moment that will stick with me forever, it would have to be when I was driving a 1973 BMW 3.0 CS during one of those late summer days in Seattle that make you forget about all of the nasty weather we put up with to just have a few amazing days of warm sunny weather a year. I was heading north on I-5 and I had all of the windows down, which on an e9 is one of the most stunning features, a pillerless body line and perfect design. I had the sunroof open with my left arm easily resting on the edge of the window sill. As I drove, I noticed that the wind that was pouring into the car created the most amazing gentile wind that swirled around the car creating an almost euphoric feeling, there were no harsh jabbing bursts of wind being forced into the car from poor design, but the most beautiful amount of wind that just played with the empty spaces created by the removal of glass and steel. The perfectly balanced engine, the wind caressing over the panels of the body, seamless motion, absolute perfection.

Wow, that felt amazing just writing about the experience. Ha Ha, it's in my blood.

I would really love to hear your stories. Please post yours. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment